< Back to all posts

Travel tips to Hong Kong

E

Hey, I am going to Hong Kong sometime in September. Need travelling tips. Please share.

4 answers
J
upvote    0   
Hi Emerson! 
Whenever you visit any new city there are three basic travel tips to keep in mind. First is the language for easy conversation and finding your way around in the city. Second is the mode of transportation and third will be easy payment methods like travel/food cards.
Learn the language a bit
Okay, so like any other foreign language Cantonese is not easy. Still, you could learn a few quick versions of a ‘hello’, or a ‘How are you doing’ or just a simple ‘thank you’. Google microphone will help you the best here or go for those easy to learn Cantonese videos on YouTube.

Get yourself the Octopus Card
It is the most handy way to travel around in Hong Kong. It is a multipurpose card which you can use to dine and shop all over the city. Octopus payment is available at Aberdeen, Cross-Harbour, Lantau Link, Lion Rock tunnels and Tsing Sha. there are points you can earn on it and discount your way to your fav shops and restaurants.

Use the Airport Express to save time
It is the best and the most efficient railways system to reach the airport. You will cut through your way and reach in time. It also goes towards the City Centre and there are five Airport Express stations in Hong Kong so your travel will be pretty much sorted within the city.

Cheap eating spots in HK
Try booking one those Food tours in here. They will help you a great deal in picking up the best spots. The best ones are around Tsim Sha Tsui, Wellington at Central, Causeway Bay, and Sheung Wan. Try some of the local street food, you won’t be disappointed at all.
D
upvote    0   
Two important points I need to add here quickly.
One-Taxis are cheaper, so forget the trams and the long queues waiting for the ticket. Take the taxi instead.
Two-Be mindful of the weather. It can rain anytime in Hong Kong. An umbrella in your handbag at all times is a good choice.
Hope you have a fun stay. 
B
upvote    0   
I agree with the fact that you should get an Octopus Card here. It’s really convenient and works as a single mode of payment for everything in Hong Kong. You can use it to pay for your rides on the MTR, Trams, Buses and Airport Express.
Another great tip would be to choose a travel time that doesn’t clash with the peak hours of traffic. MTR is a great way to travel around Hong Kong. For your everyday needs you can check one of those Seven Eleven stores here.
F
upvote    0   
'Where would I stay when I reach there?’ that’s the first question every time on my mind whenever I am travelling. I always look for affordable places where I can stay without any hassles and as a rule I always pre-book my stay. Look for cheap accommodations in the city. Don’t go for expensive ones. There are some cheap rentals available in Kowloon, Causeway Bay, Midlevels, and Soho.
Login/Sign up to comment here.
< Back to all posts
Latest Offers

Latest Offers

Enjoy 20% off on selected London
apartments when you book between
January - March 2019

Use Code - LONDON20

Book Now

We’ve entered Tokyo.
Book your next stay in our
NEW Tokyo apartments and