Where to Stay in Charing Cross
You should look for some of the best serviced apartments Charing Cross in prime locations like York Road, Euston Square, Emerald Street and other zones including Martin’s Place, Charing Cross Road, The Strand, Northumberland Avenue, Whitehall and the roads going to the Pall Mall. Cockspur Street is another area worth considering for travelers.
Facts About Charing Cross
Charing Cross was one of the original medieval Eleanor crosses standing within the Charing hamlet itself. A part of Westminster, it had this cross standing from the 1290s till it was destroyed in 1647 as part of Parliament orders. The cross led to the name of the immediate area and landmarks like Charing Cross railway station and the Queen Eleanor Memorial Cross for commemorating the original. This was built in 1864-65. Here are some more interesting facts about Charing Cross:
- The equestrian statue of Charles I in bronze has been present near the Charing Cross junction from 1675.
- Charing Cross also indicated an area of Whitehall between Trafalgar Square and Scotland Yard till 1931. Drummonds Bank, nestled at the corner of The Mall, still has 49 Charing Cross as its official address.
- Charing Cross has been a national centre of London from the early 19th century and is a point from where distances from London are mapped.
- The name comes from cierring in Old English that meant a bend in the majestic River Thames.
- The district was the centre of the metropolis by the late 18th century and legislation applying to the London metropolis used the junction as the same too.
- Charing Cross has its own railway station on The Strand while the other side of the river is linked via the Golden Jubilee Bridge. They connect to the Waterloo and Waterloo East stations. Charing Cross and Embankment are the two nearest stations on the London Underground.
Weather in Charing Cross
The weather remains comfortable and semi-cloudy during short summers while winters are cloudy, chilly, windy and lengthy. The best time to visit is between late June and early September for enjoying the best weather.