Facts About New York
A Dutch colony way back in 1624, New York got its name after the English won the Anglo-Dutch War. In 1664 the name ‘New York’ (named after King James II) was given to the city. One of the most important ports under British rule, New York has a long history and great cultural significance. Home to many people from all around the world, New York has always won the hearts of everyone.
Here are a few facts about New York:
- New York City became the first capital of the United States in 1789.
- New York is the 3rd most populous state in the US, after California and Texas.
- The culturally rich New York is home to approximately 8,175,133 million people who speak more than 800 languages.
- The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France to the United States in 1886 for its centennial celebration.
- The New York Public Library is the third largest library in the world with over 50 million books.
- Times Square was originally called Longacre Square until The New York Times moved there in 1904.
Also Read: 20 Things to Know About Moving to New York
Cost of Living in New York
New York is known to be one of the most expensive places in the world. While all the other boroughs of New York are not that expensive, the overall assumption comes from Manhattan which is very expensive. The cost of living in Manhattan is 148% higher (as per 2019 data) than the average cost of any major city in the United States. The cost of consumer goods is also 24% higher in NYC. The restaurant prices are 27% higher than other cities in the US.
Tips for Visiting New York
New York is quite expensive in terms of accommodation and food, so make sure that you plan accordingly and try to stay in a serviced apartment where you can cook your own meals to save. Especially, if you are traveling on a tight budget.
Things to Do in New York
There are so many things to do and see in New York that you will never get bored during your stay. From adventure to history, theatre and movies, there is everything here.
1. What are the most popular things to do in New York?
These are the top 10 attractions in New York:
- Times Square
- The Statue of Liberty
- Empire State Building
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Central Park
- American Museum of Natural History
- Rockefeller Plaza
- Intrepid Air and Space Museum
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Ellis Island National Museum of Immigration
2. What are some free things to do in New York?
Here are the free things to do in New York:
- Spending Friday evenings at the MoMA
- Visiting the Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Doing yoga at Bryant Park
- Watching outdoor movies at two major parks
- Riding the Staten Island Ferry
- Going to the Chelsea Galleries
- Attend a cultural event at the New York Public Library
- Taking a tour of Central Park
- Taking in the views from Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Tour the Brooklyn Brewery
3. Does New York have many romantic attractions?
Here are the romantic things to do in New York for couples:
- Have a picnic in Central Park
- Catch a jazz show in the city
- Walk the Brooklyn Bridge
- Take a romantic walk at Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Enjoy a show on Broadway
- Enjoy a horse carriage ride in New York
- Take in the view from the Empire State Building
4. What are the most family-friendly things to do in New York?
Families should take their kids to these attractions:
- Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum
- Children’s Museum of Manhattan
- Natural History Museum
- Central Park
- The Highline Park and Walking Path
- New York Transit Museum
- New York Hall of Science
- Dylan’s Candy Bar
Also Read: New York Travel Tips - What to Do See, Costs & Ways to Save
Places to Visit in New York
Home to the world’s best art, architecture, music, and history, there’s a reason why New York is on every traveler’s list. Some of the popular tourist attractions close to our top serviced apartments in NYC are:
- Statue of Liberty - This 93 meters long statue will definitely awestruck you with its beautiful architecture and the view you will get from the observatory.
- Empire State Building - This was known as one of the tallest buildings in the world for many years. The building has a total of 102 floors and an observation deck on the 86th floor.
- Central Park - Away from the noise and busy-life of NYC, yet situated in the middle of the city, Central Park is a nature lover’s paradise. You can visit the Central Park Zoo, go for a walk or enjoy a Sunday picnic with your loved ones here.
- Brooklyn Bridge - Connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn, this bridge runs across the East River and provides a great city view during the sunset.
- Times Square - Popular, touristy and vibrant, Times Square is a must-visit if you want to see the ‘New York life’. With its colorful lighting and crowded streets, Times Square attracts millions of tourists during the famous ball drop on New Year’s Eve.
Also Read: Top 10 Tourist Attractions in New York to Visit at Night
Places to Eat in New York
Being a multicultural city with people from all around the world, New York offers global cuisines. From a street-side cart to a Michelin Star restaurant, there is everything to choose from. If you want to explore various cuisines while you are in New York, the city won’t disappoint you.
Some of the best restaurants close to our top furnished apartments in New York are:
- Charlie Bird
- Ivan Ramen
- Loring Place
Also Read: The Top Pizza Places in New York
Street Food in New York
A few street food vendors in New York that are worth mentioning include:
- King of Falafel & Shawarma - all the falafel that anyone can eat
- Milk Truck - Mac & cheese, turkey chili, and grilled cheese sandwiches
- Red Hook Lobster Pound food truck - lobster rolls
- Lumpia Shack - Lumpia, crispy, Filipino-inspired spring rolls
- Dirty water dogs - Hot dogs, hot dogs, and more hot dogs
Also Read: 10 Unique Street Foods You Must Try While You are in New York
Shopping in New York
These are the shopping attractions that you can visit during your stay in New York:
- Fifth Avenue
- Columbus Circle
- Meatpacking District
- Herald Square
- Lexington Avenue
Also Read: Expat Guide: How to Live in New York Like a Local
Transportation in New York
New York has a great public transport system which makes it easier to travel anywhere in and around NYC. The best way to travel in NYC is the subway as you will find subway stations in every corner of the city. Apart from the subway, there are buses, cabs, ferries, and boats available in New York as a mode of travel. Our top serviced apartments in New York are strategically located near to one or multiple subway stations, so traveling is never a task.
Some of these subway stations are:
- Chambers Street
- Wall Street
- Times Square
- Lexington Avenue
- Grand Central
Weather in New York
New York weather in the winter can be very cold, with temperatures frequently reaching below zero Celsius. The average temperature is 5° during winter. The average temperature in New York in the Summer is around 27°. The best time to visit NYC is during Spring and Autumn. The average temperatures in Spring and Autumn are 7° and 12° respectively.