Facts About Whitefield
Whitefield is a well-known Bangalore neighborhood that was founded in the late 1800s as a settlement catering to the Anglo Indian and Eurasian citizens of the city. Whitefield was a charming neighborhood on the eastern peripheries of the Garden City until the late 1990s when the IT boom led to its transformation into a sought-after locality. It is a part of Greater Bangalore today and a prominent residential locality with several mega real estate projects in its kitty.
Here are some interesting facts about Whitefield:
- The area is named after the founder of the European and Anglo Indian Association, D.S. White. The association got around 4,000 acres from Chamaraja Wodeyar, the Maharaja of Mysore in the 19th century.
- Whitefield is a fast-growing residential locality and a major commercial hub, driven by the establishment of the ITPL (International Tech Park), one of India’s first such technology parks.
- Whitefield houses eight shopping malls along with luxury hotels, stores, educational institutions and reputed hospitals.
- Whitefield lies just 44 kilometers away from the Bangalore International Airport while the nearest railway station is just 3 kilometers away from it.
- Leading companies here include Tata Consultancy Services, Oracle, Mu Sigma, Sharp and countless others.
- More than 3 lakh people travel to Whitefield for work every day as per reports.
Weather in Whitefield
Whitefield offers comfortable weather round the year although tourists prefer coming here between September and March. The temperatures are favorable at this time. Summers are hot between March and May while rainfall is higher from May to August and even in October. The dry months are between December and March. April is the warmest period while January is the coolest. September is the wettest month with the highest rainfall. March is the month which is sunniest in Whitefield and other parts of Bangalore.